Monday, January 05, 2009

Packing up

Sunday, January 4th
Here I am two days before launch to Minneapolis, God willing, surrounded by boxes, a “to do” list, and steaming cup of Good Earth Original tea. I have good intentions of blogging about my adventures transplanting up North and catching hold of all God has in store for me. I want to chronicle the joys, challenges and lessons along the way. I am counting on His grace being a dominant theme. It has carried me thus far.

So for now my adventure begins by packing up and saying goodbye. I decided after much debate (and looking at the price of moving vehicles) to take up only what fits in my Honda Civic. Those of you with Civics are probably laughing knowingly behind your computer screens. How in the world does one fit an entire move into a little Civic? The answer: packing, repacking, and the loving exhortations of family and friends who are brave enough to say, “Do you really need that?” (Thanks Tricia and Karyn for going through my books with me ) Here are a few items in my boxes, which made it through the grilling, each with a story.
• A power drill
• Wooden spoons
• An electric tire pressure gauge
• A sewing machine and three hat boxes
• One of my favorite books, Leadership Coaching
• Two boxes of chalk

Amazingly, it is actually starting to fit in!!!! I’m so grateful that there is opportunity for a second wave of boxes to come up with acquaintances driving up north later this spring. I probably won’t need my summer clothes for quite awhile! I’m also incredibly grateful for the generosity of friends in Minneapolis gathering an assortment of household items, like a dining table, couch, bed, book shelf, etc… in preparation of my arrival.

We’ve had a delightful holiday vacation with family. Matthew is on break from Dallas Theological Seminary and Karyn came back from Lubbock THREE TIMES so we could all be together. I wish I could bottle up the memory of us all sitting around the dining room table discussing the first chapter of Exodus, or debating the practicality of practical jokes, or laughing over the latest drama on the ranch.

Thank you VERY MUCH to all the friends who put on a surprise going away party New Year’s Eve. It was a hugely encouraging send off, more than you will ever know. I shall keep all your words of advice in mind and try not to slide off onto any frozen lakes, wear warm socks, and keep a blanket in my car! The highlight of the evening was my sibling’s rendition of “So Long, Farewell” from the Sound of Music. What a riot! I will keep that in memory for life.

Today I said goodbye to my church family. These are people that have known me most of my life and I have a hard time imagining going to church and not seeing their faces. Goodbyes have never been my favorite moments, for I usually feel awkward, and unsure of what to say, or how to express it, but my heart is full. There is so much anticipation in God’s unfolding plan, which shores up my faltering in all these goodbyes.

These last few days will fly by and so I must be off. I want to make time for tea with my sisters, getting my car inspected, labeling my boxes, and watching a Texas sunset.