Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The night before the move

What a day! Actually, it’s 12:30 am as I write this. It seems as careful as I tried to plan, last minute adventures seemed inevitable.

I woke my sisters early this morning for a romp in the chilly morning air, with a thermos of hot chocolate to share when we reached the lookout spot. Back up at the house we did some moving of boxes here and there, finally all to the front porch. About 10:45 we were off for a trip into town for a very last minute installation of new tires. My dad is so faithful to watch out over my car and give me advice; at the last minute he highly advised I put new tires on. So…that took up my morning, not as I planned, but I did get to have lunch with my dear friend Mindy while waiting for the tires to be put on. My sister Karyn accompanied me for the errand too, which I enjoyed very much.

By the time we got back in the afternoon, Nathan was the center of attention, having just walked in the door from the dentist where he had his wisdom teeth out. He actually seemed quite chipper for getting 4 holes dug in his jaw. 

The rest of us did more packing and rearranging of the boxes in the Civic. Finally, at long last, I thought we had things almost fitting. We were motivated to make fast work of it because the air was getting quite a bite. At last, it was packed to the gill…and almost fit. But then we looked at the wheel rims hovering over the tires in the back, and added up the combined weight of all the boxes and realized that no matter how condensed and tight we packed, the weight would never work on the chassis of the Civic. It was quite distressing. I was already pared down and leaving many boxes of things and all my furniture at home. What to do?

So, last minute, I decided to get a rental car in the morning for a one way trip from Dallas to Minneapolis. My dad was already planning on driving up with me in the Civic (and flying back) so this works out just as well. We’ll each take a vehicle, and be able to distribute the weight, plus take up all the boxes of things that I was having to leave behind, things like books and a computer printer that are bulky.

Once again we unpacked, repacked and arranged. My family were such good sports; I couldn’t have done all this without them. Finally, by God’s grace, I believe everything is tucked away and ready for leaving in the morning.