Wednesday, June 28, 2006

He must Increase, Part 1

Where do I begin in capturing the triumphant, Christ exalting spirit of the VOM weekend? The conference was a medley of captivating testimony from individual VOM partners in restricted regions of the world like China, Columbia, Egypt, Iran, India, Nigeria, etc… These reports were combined with prayer and praise on behalf of these brothers and sisters for a full schedule, yet one with a perfect balance of intensity. In the evenings, conference attendees could spread around the beautiful Oklahoma Wesleyan campus for Q&A sessions with individual speakers.

The conference sold out with 1,000 attendees, besides children that were registered for the Kids of Courage program going on simultaneously. I wish to have had the opportunity to stick my head over in the children’s program; it would have been interesting to listen in on.

Let me share from my heart the three big fires this weekend flamed.

First, this weekend was all about making much of the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

There is a common temptation when reading or hearing stirring testimonies of faithful Believers, and of their endurance through horrific or extreme difficulty, to elevate that person to some super-hero level. In the long run, this sort of idealizing is disappointing (because people are sinful) and frustrating (because I too am sinful) to say the least. That's not what this conference was about. With a spirit of grace and humilty the praises and sufferings of courageous Christians pointed to God.

I was reminded of the Old Testament law concerning servants found in Exodus 21:2-6
A faithful a servant was free to leave the house of his Jewish master after fulfilling his six year of indentured service. However, at that time, “If the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free; Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.” (v 5,6)

In the Jewish community, a pierced and scared ear was not an attribute of the greatness of the servant, but of the goodness of a Master, who had won the heart of his servant for a life of service. Isn’t that an incredible allegory?

That’s how I felt about the speakers at this conference. Their “scars” and steadfastness under persecution for the sake of Jesus Christ only magnified the greatness of our Heavenly Father—how constant His strength, how sure His presence, how desirable His fellowship, how ready His ear to hear our prayers.

When we hear or read testimonies of faith, that is what should burn in our hearts.

“He must increase, I must decrease.” John 3:30

More thoughts tomorrow…