Friday, January 09, 2009

Migration

One journey is over and another one started. It's hard to believe I'm here, in Minnesota, unpacking my shoes and blankets and tea cups in a new home. Dad and I had a safe and beautiful drive up from Texas. Everyone in my family woke up early Wednesday morning to say goodbye. God's tender mercies were so sweet to me just then.

Mom recommended I stop at Cracker Barrel to rent an audio book for the drive, which was a brilliant suggestion for my 17 hours in the car. I found one book by Jan Karon, A New Song, that looked interesting. This was the first time I have ever read anything by this author, but I can't tell you how Providential it was that I picked that book. It turned out to be a delightful novel about a pastor and his wife who were moving from one place to another, transplanting church and ministry and relationships, and all the struggles and joys as they walked through it. It is a simple story, but I couldn't believe how timely it was in encouraging my heart and putting joy and reality in my expectations.

Today was my first full day and there is so much I want to tell, of unpacking, the gifts of furniture and dishes and everything that people brought me, or sledding down a hill at midnight and running into a tree, but I'm completely exhausted and can hardly lift a finger to type any more. This blog will have to be a day behind.

Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift, Jesus Christ my Lord.


Here is the first dusting of snow we met somewhere in Iowa.


And then it started to get a little heavier


And heavier!!! This is dad and I in front of a snow mound.


Medicine Lake, just a few houses away from where I live. It is spotted with little ice huts right now, each one filled with frigid fishermen fishing for flounder (or some other shivering fish).


And this is my very bare new home, full of boxes!


My God's presence be in this place and His peace abide.